Guest Tutorial #75
©2007 Mike Sims
This tutorial shows how to create an animation in three dimensions of the above image, and makes use of both Xara Xtreme and Xara 3D. There are several stages to this process, summarized as follows:
- We create the quite simple shapes in Xara Xtreme, which will be exported as a single shape to Xara 3D. Sizing pixels will be necessary to ensure correct sizing and positioning within Xara3D.
- We import the shape from Xara Xtreme to Xara 3D three times, and use the Rotate2 animation to move the shapes in 3D space. This Rotate2 animation will be paused to
freeze the shapes in their correct orientations. Details such as colour, extrusion and bevels will also be applied at this stage. This will result in Page 1.
- We copy the Page 1 objects into 11 new pages. Then, starting with Page 2:
- We rotate the original Xara Xtreme shape a few degrees, then import it into Xara 3D three times to replace each of the three objects in the current Page. Then we select the next page.
- We repeat step 4 until we are back at Page 1. At this point we can hold down the Page Down key to watch the full animation as Xara3D steps through each page while
maintaining the objects in the frozen 3D positions the Rotate2 animation gave them.
- We export an animated gif from Xara3D, and import it into XaraXtreme, edit out the extraneous frames, and re-export the finished animated gif.
- We sit back and pat ourselves on the back at a job well done!
You are probably aware of Xara Xtreme but have you downloaded Xara Xtreme Pro? All the tutorials in this Workbook are done in Xtreme Pro, so if you don't have it, get it now.
Click here to download your FREE trial version
or to upgrade to Xara Xtreme Pro today!
- Xara Graphics Studio Xara's three most popular products in one irresistible bundle. Xara
Graphic Studio contains Xara Xtreme, Xara-3D 6 and Webstyle 4. This bundle will save you a bundle!
- Xara Menu Maker Create professional graphical NavBars and DHTML menus in an instant
with Xara Menu Maker - no technical or design skills required. (And Xara does all of the heavy lifting!)
- Xara Webstyle 4 Everyone can make quality web graphics with Xara Webstyle,
whatever your skill level. From banner ads to complete web pages, simply customize the templates.
- Xara Screenmaker 3D A 3D screensaver maker that's fast, fun and easy to use. Create
animated 3D text or tumbling picture cube screensavers. (This application will make you a hero in your office or home. And it is embarrassingly inexpensive!)
- Xara 3D-6 Xara 3D is the Number 1 tool for creating stunning, professional-quality 3D
web graphics. See why for yourself. You can use a 3D program and drive yourself nuts trying to figure out all that X Y and Z axis nonsense, or you can make your life easy (and fun) with Xara 3D. It's up to you.
- Xara 3D Heading Maker Add this great interactive tool to your web site and let your visitors make 3D graphics online.
- Xara Online Web pages stand out with Xara Online's state-of-the-art web page add
-ons. Choose graphics, text and photo effects, or advanced applications, all fully-customizable and on your site in minutes.
- BuyFonts.Com All designers need fonts - get yours for as little as $2 US. Question: Is
life a contest to see how few fonts you can use? With low prices and high quality fonts that you get at BuyFonts.com, do you need to ask?
©2007 Gary W. Priester, All rights reserved. No portion of this publication,
including the illustrations contained within, may be reproduced in any way
without the express written permission of the author.